Prof. Jaco van de Pol
Teaching (BSc, MSc, PhD)
I am teaching a 10EC course on
Computability and Logic.
I am teaching a 10 EC course on
Algorithmic Model Checking
with Andreas Pavlogiannis.
Are you interested in the Computer Science
BSc programmes or
See our Graduate School for
PhD opportunities in Computer Science at Aarhus University.
- PC member of FMICS 2023,
International Conference on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems, Antwerp, Belgium.
- PC member of TASE 2023,
International Conference on Model Checking Software, Bristol, UK.
- PC member of Petri Nets 2023,
International Conference on Concurrency Theory, Lisbon, Portugal.
- PC member of CONCUR 2021,
International Conference on Concurrency Theory, Paris, France.
- PC member of FM 2021,
Formal Methods, Beijing, China.
- PC member of TACAS 2021,
Tools and Algorithms for the Construction and Analysis of Systems, Luxembourg.
- With Magnus Madsen as PI, we received a 60,000 USD
Amazon Research Award
for our research on Type Inference with Boolean Unification in
- We won the Oded Maler best paper Award 2020 at FORMATS 2020 (Vienna)
with Simon Wimmer and Frédéric Herbreteau
- We published
The 2020 Expert Survey on Formal Methods with Hubert Garavel and Maurice ter Beek
- Invited Lecturer at FSTTCS tutorial
Advances in Verification,
Bits-Pilani, Goa, India, 2020
- Invited Speaker at
CONCUR 2019, Concurrency Theory, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Best Student Paper Award at BPM 2018, Sydney Australia, with
Vincent Bloemen, et al.
- Best Paper Award at SPIN 2017, Santa Barbara, USA, with Wytse
Oortwijn, et al.
Academic Service (since 2014)
- Editorial board SCP
(Science of Computer Programming)
- Editorial board STTT
(Software Tools and Technology Transfer)
- Member of the Steering Committee SPIN Symposium on Model Checking Software
- Member (Chair 2018-2022) of the Steering Committee of FMICS,
the ERCIM working group on Formal Methods in Industrial Critical Systems
- PC co-chair of
appFM 2021, 1st IW on Applicable Formal Methods (Beijing, China), with Mario Gleirscher and Jim Woodcock.
Proceedings available as: EPTCS 349
- Organizer of the Lorentz Workshop on
Verification Competitions, Feb 2019, Leiden, The Netherlands
- Program Chair of
TACAS 2015 (tool chair),
AVOCS 2014, and
- PC member of:
- FM 2021,
FM World Congress 2019,
- Petri Nets
- TASE 2023,
Modeling and analysis of safety, dependability, performance, and security aspects of
software-intensive embedded systems by means of model checking,
theorem proving and testing.
Synthesis of parameters and strategies for the control and testing of safety-critical systems.
The development of new model checking techniques based on symbolic techniques
(e.g. abstraction, confluence, fixpoint equation systems, constraint solving) and
high-performance graph algorithms (e.g. distributed and multi-core model checking algorithms).
include embedded systems (e.g. railway safety interlockings), distributed systems (e.g. blockchain and smart contracts),
security protocols and risk analysis (e.g. through attack-defense trees),
energy optimisation (e.g. through stochastic timed automata)
and signaling pathways in biological systems.
- Simon Wimmer won a
H2020 MSCA Individual Fellowship in Aarhus,
for his project "Certywhere" - Safe Real-Time Systems: Certification Everywhere.
- My PhD students Vincent Bloemen and Marcus Gerhold win the
VERSEN PhD Thesis Award 2020
- May 2019: Nominated for the best teacher award at CS@Aarhus for my course on Computability & Logic
- Two papers at TACAS 2019, both with Artefact Evaluation Stamp
- Djurre van der Wal wins the Internet MSc thesis prize 2018.
- I came to Aarhus University by November 1st, 2018